Every mom deserves to be celebrated. This Mother’s Day, let’s be sure to give them a little extra love. Start planning your celebration now, with activities designed to honor mom all day long.
At Great Wolf Lodge, we suggest waking her up with breakfast in bed. Pepper in a scavenger hunt in the afternoon, and cap it off with an unforgettable dance party! Of course, there is plenty more you can do to help make the day special. Read on for some fun activities to enjoy this Mother’s Day.
Plan Out the Day
Breakfast in Bed
Who doesn’t like to be surprised with breakfast in bed? Kick off your Mother’s Day with one of our favorite plates! Here are some tips and tricks on how to decorate the dish.
- Try out our fun eggs-in-a-basket breakfast recipe here. It calls for just a few easy ingredients including butter, whole wheat bread, 2 large eggs, and some salt and pepper.
- Once you’ve finished cooking, throw in a few extra treats. Cut up some fresh fruit, make some toast and add a glass of juice for her to wash it all down with! Check out this guide for more ideas on how to decorate the tray.
- Dress up the presentation with a little extra flair. Spend some quality time with the kids creating fun paper flowers before mom wakes up to a special Mother’s Day brunch. Here’s how you do it:
- Write mom a Mother’s Day card to let her know how loved she is. Sneak in a special invitation to a dance party later on in the day!
Afternoon Scavenger Hunt
Keep the Mother’s Day celebration going strong with an afternoon scavenger hunt! Organize the activity around your evening dance party. Send the family out on a hunt in search of the perfect costume! You’re going to want to collect the following items for a complete look:
- Wolf Ears
Make sure to print out our checklist before you begin!
Evening Dance Party
Mother’s Day is the perfect opportunity to spend quality time as a family. Shake out your stress and let loose with a very special dance party. Check out the tips below to help set the scene.
- Every good dance party needs a few microphones to pass around! Create your own accessory with this simple guide. All you need is an empty toilet paper roll (or construction paper), some aluminum foil and yarn! You can also use markers or stickers to personalize your mic!
- Turn your living room into a nightclub with your very own disco ball! Don’t worry, you don’t have to buy one. Learn how to make your own with our original guide.
- Get your playlist ready! Pull together 8-10 of mom’s favorite songs. Need some help? We’ve put together a list of tunes she is sure to love! Check it out here.
- Enhance your look with these fun paper props. Make sure to have the camera ready! You’ll want to capture your best dance moves and memorable moments together.
Easy Gift Ideas for Mom
While Mother’s Day is largely about enjoying time as a family, it never hurts to sprinkle a few gifts into the mix that any mother is sure to love! Read on to learn how to make a one-of-a-kind crayon candle for mom.
- Grab your materials: wax, wicks, old crayons, and containers. Make sure to incorporate some of mom’s favorite colors when picking out the crayons.
- Break up the crayons into three pieces. Fill a dixie cup with wax and top it with one broken crayon. Put it in the microwave for about a minute. Take it out for a quick stir, and put it back in the microwave for another minute.
- Place a wick in the jar and pour the mix in. You can also add some essential oils here if you want to make your candle more aromatic.
- Repeat this step until your jar is full using a mix of different colors.
- Put it in the fridge to set. Once it’s done you can wrap it up and give it to mom!
Who doesn’t love jewelry? This Mother’s Day, gift your mom something special by following this easy DIY guide.
- Gather your materials. You’ll need an empty milk jug (make sure it’s cleaned and dried), a pair of scissors, a hole puncher, 2 colors of embroidery thread and a sharpie marker.
- Cut out four flat circles from the milk jug. Cut out tiny slits around the circle’s edges.
- Use the hole punch to create holes in the circles toward the top, one across from the other.
- Take the embroidery thread and weave it around your circles, sliding the sting into the slits you cut to create a truly unique design. Leave some extra string to tie off the thread, then cut off the excess material.
- Weave another piece of embroidery yarn through the holes you punched into the circles. You can also incorporate certain stitches for a slightly more elaborate chain.
Kids grow up so fast, so why not capture the moment and deliver it fresh for Mother’s Day! Follow these steps to create a truly unique thumbprint platter.
- For this one you’ll need a white serving platter, glass paint (must be dishwasher safe) and a sharpie marker.
- Map out where you want the fingerprints to appear on the platter. This depends on how many kids you have, and how many fingerprints you want to include. Place a tiny drop of paint in the desired locations.
- Place a small amount of paint on a piece of paper and gently dip your child’s thumb in the paint. Make two prints on the platter in the shape of a heart. Be sure to have a wet paper towel handy in case you mess up. The paint should come off easily so you can start over whenever you need!
- Use the sharpie marker to write down everyone’s names over their thumbprints, and the date. Follow the curing directions on the paint you used and let set!
This next gift idea is perfect for any mom with a green thumb. Follow the steps below to create your very own painted rock garden markers!
- Head outside and grab a couple of rocks from the garden. The flatter the rock, the easier it will be to incorporate some text into your design.
- Give them a wash and set up your painting station.
- Choose your colors and paint your rock however you wish. Don’t be afraid to get creative!
- Once the paint dries, you can use a sharpie marker to add some text to help identify herbs, vegetables and flowers growing in the garden! You can also add sentimental notes, names, or dates for a more personal touch. You can also check out this post for more fun rock activities.
Recycle some unused materials with this next Mother’s Day gift! All you’ll need are a few spare keys, a stick or piece of driftwood, a string or fishing line, and some acrylic paint. Continue on with the steps below.
- Choose a few of mom’s favorite colors to paint the keys and your stick (most keys will take at least two coats).
- Tie a piece of string on either end of the stick so that you’ll be able to hang it.
- Tie a piece of string to each key and tie to the stick. Make sure they are close enough to touch so that they chime when the wind blows!
- Hang it out and introduce mom to this very special Mother’s Day gift!
Did you find some new activities to add to your Mother’s Day plans? Make this year special by celebrating in the spirit of Great Wolf Lodge. Don’t forget to check in with us for more ways you can enjoy time at home throughout the month of May. It’s our mission is to create family traditions, one family at a time!
Disclaimer: The links provided in this post are provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Great Wolf of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. Great Wolf bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.