We’re all trying to think of ways we can have fun at home. Here at the lodge, we’ve been keeping busy coming up with activities our families can enjoy together.
Summer is around the corner so what better way to get excited and celebrate than with a s’mores challenge. The Great Summer S’more Off is intended to inspire all s’mores enthusiasts to use their imagination and create the most inventive s’mores recipe.
Of course, cooking these summer treats at home probably means doing without the campfire, so we’ve provided some easy ideas on how to make s’mores in the oven. Now roll up your sleeves, and let the S’more Off begin!
Let’s warm up by learning how to cook s’mores in the oven with our classic Great Wolf recipe.
How to Make S’mores in the Oven
It’s always good to be creative, but sometimes you’ve got to go with tradition. Check out our classic Great Wolf recipe below for some easy tips on making s’mores in the oven apart from the challenge.
- Honey Maid Graham Crackers
- Jet Puffed Marshmallows (cut in half)
- Hershey Milk Chocolate Bars (chopped up)
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Place your graham crackers in a single layer on the bottom of the pan and top with marshmallow halves
- Sprinkle with chopped hershey chocolate
- Cover graham cracker squares
- Top with marshmallow halves, cut side down.
- Bake in the oven 9 to 11 minutes or until marshmallows are puffed and golden
Now let’s see how creative you can get in building your own recipe.
Building Your Own S’mores Recipe
- The first thing you’ll want to do is decide if you want sweet or savory s’mores. Remember, there are tons of recipes out there so don’t limit yourself to what you’ve seen in the movies! If you’re having a hard time coming up with ideas, you can lean on some specialty examples from our very own S’morelier. His fancy s’mores recipes include bacon sea salt, passion fruit, dulce de leche and more!
2. Select your main flavor ingredient. This isn’t something the other ingredients like marshmallows, crackers, or chocolate will be able to obscure, so make sure it’s something you like!
3. Choose some other treats to pair with your main ingredient. This might be a good time to consult with the rest of the family. Make sure everyone agrees on what will taste good together!
4. Test out the recipe a few times. See if you like what you’ve created. Are graham crackers the right choice? Would some more chocolate make it better? If you think there’s room for improvement, make a few changes and try again!
5. Once you’ve perfected your dessert, fill out this recipe card
6. Take an instagram-worthy photo of your creation
7. Now that you have risen to the challenge of The Great Summer S’more Off….name your s’mores and post your photo to Instagram with #gwlsmoreoff or share it with us on Facebook.
Roasting Flavored Marshmallows in the Oven for S’mores
We all love the look of roasting marshmallows over an open fire, but who needs the storybook setting when you’ve got a perfectly good kitchen at home? Check out our instructions below for roasting flavored marshmallows in the oven.
- Preheat the broiler
- Line a pan with parchment paper and lightly coat with cooking spray
- Broil the marshmallows until tops brown, turn the marshmallows to brown the undersides. Keep a close eye — they will brown quick!
- Place your newly roasted marshmallows on a display plate and keep them hot in a holding container.
Fun Activities to do While Making Your S’mores!
It’s not just about making yummy food to eat, it’s about having fun in the process! Check out our suggestions below for more ways to enjoy The Great Summer S’more Off!
Create a S’more-Making Playlist
- Pick out some of your favorite songs and make a playlist to listen to while making your s’mores. Tailor your list towards summer hits and campsite jams. Take turns singing along. Who knows, an impromptu dance party might just break out in the middle of the kitchen!
Make a S’more-Scavenger Hunt
- Make gathering your s’mores items a little more exciting with a scavenger hunt! Hide a box of graham crackers, marshmallows and some chocolate bars for the kids to seek and find.
Ingredients Guessing Game
- Why stick to one recipe when there are tons out there? Let everyone in the family create their own special s’mores. Take turns guessing the ingredients they used. You’ll be surprised to see just how developed your palate might be!
Marshmallow on a Spoon Race
- Divide the family into two teams. Give each a bag of marshmallows and a spoon. Place a bucket (or a bowl) on either side of the kitchen. One at a time, players must race to drop their marshmallow in their respective bucket. The first team to empty their bag wins!
We can’t wait to see what everyone makes for The Great Summer S’more Off! Even if you aren’t joining the competition, you can still have fun creating some special s’mores with our suggested recipes! Be sure to check in with us again soon for more fun activities to do at home.