The Sunday of the Big Game is one of the most exciting days of the year in sports—and it’s a great opportunity to bond with your little ones! While this day is centered around football, everyone knows that food and drinks also play a major role. Beyond the obvious choice you’ll have to make, who to root for, there are two crucial questions you should ask yourself (if your children don’t ask you first).
- What are we going to eat?
- What are we going to drink?
Individual Seven-Layer Dip Recipe
To keep the kids occupied and entertained, it’s a great idea to have them help with a recipe for the Big Game! We’d recommend this individual seven-layer dip recipe. They’re small and simple, so the kiddos can help make them!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 16 oz can refried beans
- 1 1 oz package taco seasoning
- 1 cup guacamole (or make homemade guacamole)
- 1 8 oz container sour cream
- 1 cup chunky salsa or pico de gallo (or make homemade pico de gallo)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ bunch of green onions, sliced
- 1 2.25 oz can sliced olives, drained
- 8 9 oz plastic tumblers
- Tortilla chips
Here’s how to make them:
- In a small bowl, mix taco seasoning with refried beans.
- Assemble the layers like this:
- Layer 1: beans and taco seasoning (2 tablespoons)
- Layer 2: sour cream (2 tablespoons)
- Layer 3: guacamole (2 tablespoons)
- Layer 4: salsa or pico de gallo (2 tablespoons)
- Layer 5: cheese (2 tablespoons)
- Layer 6: tomatoes (1-2 teaspoons)
- Layer 7: green onions and olives (1-2 teaspoons)
- Garnish with one tortilla chip. Store in the refrigerator until serving and serve with chips. Makes around 8 individual dips.
Smoky Bloody Mary Recipe
Cooking with your little ones is a great way to spend quality time together. Getting kids involved in cooking is fun for them, but once they’re tucked into bed, you’ll have time to make a recipe that’s only for adults. Here’s how to make one of our favorite drinks, a Smoky Bloody Mary!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1.5 oz vodka
- 1 tender celery stalk, with leaves (from center of celery stalk)
- 10 oz Great Wolf Lodge® Bloody Mary Mix
- 1 qt. tomato juice (unseasoned)
- 3 Tbsp. chipotle sauce
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 2 tsp. grated horseradish
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Combine all ingredients, mix well, and chill for at least 4 hours before using.
Here’s how to serve it:
- Squeeze fresh lime into a mason jar, rub the lime along the rim of the glass, dip into sea salt, reserve lime.
- Fill mason jar with fresh ice.
- In a mixing tin, add ice, vodka, and 10 oz of Great Wolf Lodge® Bloody Mary Mix.
- Shake well and strain into the prepared mason jar.
- Garnish with celery stalk and reserved lime.
These two crowd-pleasing Big Game recipe ideas are not only a great way to spend quality time with family, but they’ll also score big points with your guests.
Not down for the alcohol? No worries! Just eliminate the vodka, add in some vegetable garnishes like carrot or cucumber, and finish it off with a football lime garnish. The kids will feel like they were in on the fun, and you’ll get a few more veggies in them. Now that’s a touchdown!