One of the best ways to spend time at home but still feel like you’re dining at an amazing restaurant is to make your own tasty winter drinks! We have a delicious lineup of classic hot drinks and fun, non-alcoholic mocktails that you can make at home. Get ready to learn how to make homemade hot chocolate, Shirley Temples, non-alcoholic margaritas and more!
#1 Classic Hot Chocolate
This recipe is super simple! Just whisk together cocoa, milk and sugar in a sauce pan. You can also add vanilla extract and chocolate chips to your liking. Kids can help by choosing their favorite toppings and getting creative.
Ingredients list: cocoa powder and sugar (can be substituted for hot cocoa mix), assorted toppings
- Whisk together cocoa, milk and sugar in a sauce pan
- Top with any of the following: whipped cream, mini marshmallows, crushed peppermint, sprinkles or chocolate shavings!
#2 Non-Alcoholic Margarita
One of the best non-alcoholic drink recipes is the margarita. This non-alcoholic version is filled with some simple syrup and citrus flavors. Kids can get creative with garnish selection including a classic lime garnish, a sliced strawberry or even a kiwi!
Ingredients: simple syrup, lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice, lime slices
- Pour simple syrup, lime juice, lemon juice and orange juice in a cocktail shaker filled about half full with ice.
- Cover and shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
- Pour into glasses rimmed with salt and garnish with slices of lime!
#3 White Hot Chocolate
One of our favorite tasty drinks is white hot chocolate! It’s sweet, creamy and delicious and requires just 3 ingredients. Kids can customize each cup with different toppings. Serve in a favorite mug or fancy glass for a special treat.
Ingredients: milk, white chocolate, vanilla extract, assorted toppings
- Whisk together milk, white chocolate and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract in a sauce pan
- Suggested toppings: white chocolate chips, whipped cream, marshmallows or candy canes!
#4 Shirley Temple
Learning how to make mocktails is fun and easy! Shirley Temples are a classic that can be enjoyed by all ages. This drink helps turn a quiet night at home into a celebration! Of course, don’t forget the cherry on top.
Ingredients: grenadine, lemon-lime soda, ginger ale, your choice of cherry garnish
- Pour 1 ounce of grenadine in a glass with ice
- Add 4 ounces of lemon-lime soda and 4 ounces of ginger ale. Stir gently.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry, regular cherries, cranberries or any other fresh fruit you have at home!
#5 Hot Apple Cider
Hot apple cider is a great hot drink to make at home. If you’re missing the crispness of fall, this hot apple cider will transport you back in time! It’s filled with delicious spices including cinnamon and allspice. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and serve warm.
Ingredients: bottled apple cider, cinnamon sticks, allspice, cloves, brown sugar
- Add 1 bottle (64 oz) of bottled apple cider and cinnamon sticks into a slow cooker.
- Wrap allspice and cloves in a small piece of cheesecloth, and add to pot
- Stir in brown sugar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and serve warm!
Making your own tasty drinks and mocktails is a great way to bring the family together and have fun! There are endless toppings for each recipe and many different ways to create your own custom drink. If you’re looking for a snack to go along with your tasty drink, check out Violet the Wolf’s DIY Caramel Apples recipe.